THIS WEBINAR IS OPEN TO NSPA MEMBERS ONLY. LEARN MORE ABOUT NSPA MEMBER BENEFITS OR APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP TODAY.
Moderator: Jay Sherwin, Co-Director, E4FC Invest in the Dream initiative
Panelists: Nancy Jodaitis, Director of Higher Education Initiatives, E4FC, Cecilia Marshall, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, Faith Sandler, Executive Director, The Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis
2. Brief summary of key issues and developments (e.g., Trump Administration executive orders, ICE enforcement activities, reaction from higher education leaders and scholarship providers)
3. Panel discussion on the following topics (or other topics collected from advance survey of attendees):
- How can we communicate our support to undocumented scholarship recipients?
- Should we change the questions we're asking of scholarship applicants and recipients? What should we be asking? What should we not ask? How can we get the information we need without requiring students to disclose their status?
- Should we prepare for the possibility that DACA will be revoked or significantly curtailed? How should we respond if DACA is revoked?
- Should we revise our scholarship fund descriptions to avoid explicit references to undocumented students?
4. Strategies and resources for affirming undocumented students
- Helping students to know their rights
- Advising students on ways to protect themselves and their families
- Information on the sanctuary movement and other actions that educators can take to support students